Saturday, May 19, 2012

Is there really a Santa - If you know where to look

I believe in Santa Claus. I'm not a child, and even passingly younger. But, like every New Year is approaching, and the shops start stocking tinsel and strings of lights, alerting us to the fact that the holidays loom, grabbed me with a fever. And perhaps it is because this feeling is familiar that I begin to see the truth. And the truth is there really a Santa Claus.

Oh, sure. I complain as much as the person that follows the first time I holiday muzak in stores. Maybe more, having worked in the restaurant business for several years when Christmas muzak - day after day, Oh, extra hours, even it! - Turn once loved melodies in a strength test.

And I grouse about the endless chores: shopping and wrapping and decorating and card sending. But every time my mind begins to question the validity of all these efforts, a memory Stark stops cold.

It was the first time I saw Santa Claus.

It was the first Christmas after my parents separated. A sad moment, to be sure. My mother had often warned not to expect much for Christmas, which was all he could do to keep us fed, clothed and protected (this was before the food and better child-support laws).

Perhaps my expectations were lowered. I was surprised as I discovered a new kind of joy in our decorations thin (less of them made all the more valuable) in anticipation of the acquisition, production and packaging of gifts on my birthday and allowance money combined offers (probably everyone $ 10-15 at the time), and fun to help with baking cookies and other holiday delicacies.

But most of all, I was shocked when I heard the season of peace and love overwhelm me how, one evening, I saw my mother quietly writing Christmas cards by candlelight. What was in that moment, I do not know. Only it was the first time I saw Santa Claus.

I saw in my mother's quiet determination, despite everything, to look at his past troubles and celebrate the season. That moment is forever etched in my memory as one of the best moments I've ever experienced. It 'was Father Christmas, as close to being in the flesh as possible.

Over the years I have become able to recognize it. I see that every mom and dad stayed until Christmas Eve, dealing with bicycles or other assembly last minute gift, I see it in toy donation bins overflowing, I can see the coins tossed to the Salvation Army and volunteers, in fact, the same volunteers.

When I worked in restaurants, was part of my job to sell gift certificates. At first I groaned for the added responsibility, especially at a time of generally busy 'year - until I was surprised at how often I saw Santa in the faces of people who buy these gift certificates. People who had gone out of their way, who spent only a moment to think about Mom and Dad or Uncle Henry. Whatever their motives or reasons, the important thing is, they took the time to think of others, do for others, to leave the quagmire of their lives long enough to see the other and reach them.

Like many parents, I used to take my kids to the mall to see Santa. Imagine my surprise when I found Santa in every shopper tormented, any excess of work done, as the face of every child. Some people avoid the mall during Christmas. I think it is tragic to lose a chance to see Santa and I make sure to go there as often as possible. Think about it: almost every single person is buying or thinking of someone else. It is not a miracle?

It took me a long time to see Santa. As I took a bit 'to see who is really better to give than to receive. Because, in giving, we think of others and forget our troubles for a while '. Plus, giving is the best way to appreciate how lucky we are.

Oh yes, I believe in Santa Claus. And that Santa can work miracles. Remember that Christmas when I first saw Santa Claus? That Christmas morning I was overwhelmed by the gifts I received.

Sure, some people (rogues mostly) would quickly note that I simply expected less - and that my parents probably felt guilty and compensated. Now, I can only say, a miracle takes a cut closer to his understanding or experience it firsthand. But above all, I think that only shows what people can do when they decide to make an effort. Because the morning was a miracle - and the first time we have believed in Santa's Magic .--

No comments:

Post a Comment