Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The greatest gift Enduring

As the holiday season swings into overdrive, many of us once again agonize over the perfect gift for the holidays our loved ones. No matter the budget, no matter the list, the dying is an annual ritual. One of the first preschool teachers my children 'had the idea best gift of all. He said that no matter what you give them, be sure to give your kids some memories. When it comes down to it, the memories are one of the few things you can count on lasting.

I keep thinking about that little 'advice as I remember the best Christmas when my children were small. In the classical tradition family, were all comfortable in their beds. I just finished my holiday cleaning. Each decoration was perfect, all the gifts were wrapped neatly and truth be known, Santa had already stopped.

Then, as fate would have it, the dog needs to go outside. I knew it was not even raining until they trot back in through the kitchen, leaving a trail of muddy paw prints light shinning on my floor cool. I watched with disbelief the muddy paw prints. They brought to the table where Santa's case were still pending. And then, in a flash, I took a bowl, trot right in the rain and picked up my game just mud newly minted.

I thought for a moment, wondering exactly what the prints looked like a reindeer. Then I realized that since nobody in my family had ever seen them not even the only thing that mattered was that they should be different from the dog. I started the tracks at the door and planted a little muddy paw prints three fingers right next to the dog's prints. I went all the way up at the kitchen table, and then the door again.

Then I pulled out a piece of paper and wrote:

"I'm so sorry, but Rudolph has seen the snacks on the table and he came behind me tracking mud everywhere. I feel sorry for the mess.
Merry Christmas,
Love Santa
PS Thanks for snacks. "

Then I got some really good bite out of some carrots and place the stems back on the plate next to what remained of Santa's cookies.

Of course, the boys find the note and the first reindeer I got muddy chaos. They rushed to wake up and tell me that Rudolph had done for me and please do not be angry with him for ruining my clean floor. Santa was really disappointed. He also left a note.

What were the gifts that Christmas? I have not a clue. But the kids ask about the time Rudolph has dissolved into the house and tracked mud across the kitchen. They will tell you and I still remember their faces and emotions over the misadventures of errant reindeer of Santa Claus. They will never forget and I will not either.

Christmas was suddenly alive, the magic was real and lived. Years later they asked me about this event and how it happened. Gilmore tracking mud on her own floor just mopped never thought of them. And so they believed. If there was ever a shred of doubt in their mind, is gone and Christmas is born again.

You never know when your magic moment might come. Our best ever Rudolph muddy mess. Each has a similar story, and if they do not have certainly should. My mother told me that she was a child all comfortable in bed, late Christmas night, he heard sleigh bells in the dark outside his window, and she believed. If I ask about it today, she will tell you the bells of the past as if it were only yesterday.

This year, if you can, just for a moment, put the holiday frenzy into oblivion where it belongs. It's Christmas. The most enduring gift of all. Keep the magic alive. Leave a memory.

Copyright 2005 Regina Pickett Garson

No comments:

Post a Comment